The American Veterinary Medical Association recently reported that 57 percent of US households had a pet at the end of 2016. Among these pets are about 90 million dogs. While it is easy to think you know everything about your furry friend, there are still so many fascinating facts that you may never have heard about. Here are eight interesting things about dogs that just may surprise you.
- Sense of Time — Like humans, a dog has a sense of time. They typically know the difference between seven in the morning and five in the evening. If you condition your furry friend well, they can easily predict future events such as the regular walk times.
- Jealousy — Your dog can get jealous whenever they see you displaying affection for another pet.
- A Dog Can Smell Your Feelings — A canine’s sense of smell is 100 times better than that of a human being. Dogs can easily pick up fear in humans. When you are afraid, you perspire, which dogs can smell.
- Dogs Are Trained To Detect Epileptic Seizures — A recent study reveals that canines can sense epileptic seizures through smell. They can actually pick up on epileptic seizures up to 45 minutes before they occur. Dogs usually stop and stand still if they believe they have detected an oncoming epileptic seizure.
- Greyhounds Are The Quickest Dogs On Earth — These dogs can run a whopping 45 miles per hour! Greyhounds typically participate in many dog sports, including lure coursing racing.
- Dogs Can Improve Health in Humans — Your physical and mental health can improve just from petting your dog. Studies reveal petting a dog for 15 minutes can lower your blood pressure by up to 10 percent. It also helps treat stress, depression, and feelings of loneliness.
- Your Dog Can Be Trained To Detect Cancer And Other Diseases Afflicting Humans — Cancerous cells produce metabolic waste products that are different from those produced by healthy cells. Your furry friend can be trained to sniff out cancerous cells by smelling your breath.
- In 1912, Three Dogs Were Among The Survivors Of The Historical Sinking Of The Titanic — The three survivors included two Pomeranians and one Pekingese.
Are you looking for exceptional pet care in Camendon County, NJ? Let Pooch Care Plus take care of your pet while you are away from home. We will come to your home to feed your pets, take them out for a walk, and play with them. Our customized pet sitting packages offer you convenience and security, all at prices that meet your budget. Contact us today to learn more about our services.